Any thought...

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:29 AM
Of a Silverlight Version of this library?

I love the concept, and I will have to take a look at the references you gave.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM
There should definitely be a silverlight version of the library. I'd like to keep the sourcecode the same, though I'm not sure thats possible given the differences between silverlight and WPF. I'll play around with Silverlight and see if I can cook something up quickly.

Dewey wrote:

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM

It appears Silverlight 2 doesn't support MultiBinding and IMultiValueConverter. Without MultiBinding/IMultiValueConverter, what the signal library makes easily possible (e.g., centering) is impossible to express in Silverlight. I have no idea why they left that out, its sort of bizarre as it limits Silverlight in a fundamental way. Maybe I'm missing something though, I'll ask around. 

mcdirmid wrote:
There should definitely be a silverlight version of the library. I'd like to keep the sourcecode the same, though I'm not sure thats possible given the differences between silverlight and WPF. I'll play around with Silverlight and see if I can cook something up quickly.

Dewey wrote:

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2008 at 8:07 AM
Decisions for SilverLight(SL) were made based on size constraints, almost excusively.  There are a lot of things in WPF that don't exist or don't work right in SL.  They are trying to get it closer to WPF, but it will take time, after all, SL started life as WPF/E.

mcdirmid wrote:

It appears Silverlight 2 doesn't support MultiBinding and IMultiValueConverter. Without MultiBinding/IMultiValueConverter, what the signal library makes easily possible (e.g., centering) is impossible to express in Silverlight. I have no idea why they left that out, its sort of bizarre as it limits Silverlight in a fundamental way. Maybe I'm missing something though, I'll ask around. 

mcdirmid wrote:

Dewey wrote:

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2008 at 9:23 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Understood. But until Silverlight supports MultiBinding...we can't even simulate what can be expressed in WPF. Take centerH, which is defined as:

DoubleSignalHelper centerH(this UIElement self) { return self.left() + (self.width()/2d); }
There are two dependency properties invalid in the definition of centerH (Canvas.LeftProperty and UIElement.ActualWidthProperty), so...you couldn't express this in SilverLight at all! It is impossible to center things unless you assume one of left or width is constant.

Anyways, I'll just have to wait Silverlight to grow up before porting the considering it for serious development. Pity. On the bright side, it looks like it is closer than when I last looked (they are using a real subset of WPF now, none of this float instead of double nonsense). I guess it won't be long :)

Dewey wrote:
Decisions for SilverLight(SL) were made based on size constraints, almost excusively.  There are a lot of things in WPF that don't exist or don't work right in SL.  They are trying to get it closer to WPF, but it will take time, after all, SL started life as WPF/E.

mcdirmid wrote:

mcdirmid wrote:

Dewey wrote:

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I'd also love to see this in Silverlight. For what it's worth, google up "silverlight multibinding" and you'll see a couple of implementation of multibinding from the community.